Chicken parmigiana, or parmesan chicken, is a dish that's composed of breaded chicken breast engulfed in pureed tomatoes and mozzarella, parmesan, or provolone cheddar. A cut of ham or bacon is added by choice. It is additionally referred to casually in the United States as chicken parm and in Australia as a parma, parmi, or parmy.
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 10 min
Yield: 6 servings
- Washed and spun dry salad greens for 6
- 4-6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 eggs, extra-large
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 ¼ cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano, plus extra for serving
- Unsalted butter
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 recipe Lemon Vinaigrette, recipe below
- ¼ cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed (2 lemons)
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Beat the chicken breasts to make them 1/4-inch thick. You can use a rolling pin but preferably, a meat mallet.
- Mix the salt, flour, and pepper on a plate. On the other plate, beat the eggs with 1 tbsp of water. On the third plate, mix together the bread crumbs and ½ cup grated Parmesan. Cover both sides of the chicken breasts with the flour mixture, then submerge both sides into the egg mixture and dip both sides in the bread crumbs mixture while pressing lightly.
- In a large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil and butter and cook 2 or 3 chicken breasts over medium-low heat, 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Add more oil and butter and cook the remaining chicken breasts. Throw in the salad greens with Lemon Vinaigrette. Place a pile of salad on each hot chicken breast. Serve it with your extra grated Parmesan.
Lemon Vinaigrette: (Yield: 6 servings)
4. Whisk together the olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Cibus Direct